Shenandoah Mountain Guides operates extensively in the Blue Ridge region of Virginia and Maryland as well as the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia. Formerly known as the Teamlink Mountain Sports Center, the staff maintains teaching and practical expertise in a broad spectrum of outdoor activities from canoeing to cross country skiing, mountain biking to mountaineering. SMG is a permitted and licensed guiding/educational service provider for Shenandoah National Park.
Working from a base of operations high in the Blue Ridge mountains, the Shenandoah Mountain Guides is internationally known for quality instruction and guiding. With some of the best paddling streams and most remote mountain highlands in the eastern US located nearby, we offer exceptional educational programs in canoeing, backpacking, orienteering, survival/outdoor skills, mountain biking, outdoor leadership, rock climbing and environmental awareness.
Our instructional staff serves on the faculty of several colleges and universities as well as on the staff of several national certifying agencies for instructors and trainers. We teach the teachers.
Individuals desiring to further their technical skills and proficiency, youth organizations and adult groups seeking a change (and a challenge) from the ordinary, all seek out the programs offered by SMG.
Looking for an adventure outing for your company? Perhaps a family adventure? Is there an outdoor skill you want to develop (or acquire)? Our year round educational programs offer numerous opportunities to develop diverse outdoor skills… or, perhaps, a specially scheduled adventure/education program is more to your liking. Regardless, we are certain that you will be pleased with the quality of instruction, guiding and adventure that SMG offers.
Staffed by master educators, teachers and outdoor professionals, our mountain sport programs are focused, experiential activities. They are structured to lead you through basic skill acquisition, safety practices, self-rescue techniques and the principles and ethics that guide each activity. You will be encouraged to push yourself to new limits. All of our programs are limited in size to ensure that you will receive as much personalized attention, instruction and encouragement as needed.
In addition to the primary focus of each program, the program offerings include practical instruction in the following subjects as they apply:
- Land and Water Navigation - how to use a compass and topographic maps / nautical charts and the interpretation of aids to navigation and topographic features to travel safely and accurately. (“Where are you? Where do you want to go? How are you going to get there? )
- Survival Skills – how to stay alive and safe in four season, multiple environment conditions.
- Low Impact Skills – how to live and travel responsibly in the outdoors (Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics)
- Adventure activity planning – How to prepare for the “What ifs…?” and the “Now what's?”
- Team building and team dynamics
- Selection, use and care of activity-specific gear, equipment and clothing.
- Safety and self-rescue techniques
- Physical conditioning for adventure activities and pursuits
- Historical and environmental education and interpretation
- Wilderness First Aid
For a schedule of educational programming and events see our calendar or contact us for more information about how Shenandoah Mountain Guides can enrich your life’s experience.